2. Information We Collect
Information You Provide. CSTA collects information about you in various ways when you use one of our Sites or register for a Program. For example, CSTA requires you to submit Personal Information when you use certain functions or features of our Sites, sign up for membership, or register for a Program. “Personal Information” is any information that identifies you personally, either alone or in combination with other information available to us. Examples of Personal Information include your name, address, email address, telephone number, employer, age, user name, and passwords.
When you visit our Sites, some information is automatically collected. For example, when you visit our Sites your computer’s operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address, access times, browser type and language, and the website you visited before our site are logged automatically. CSTA also collects analytics data about your usage and activity on our Sites.
- Web Beacons. We may collect information using web beacons. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used on our Sites or in our emails. We use web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon.
3. How We Use Your Personal Information
a. Generally. CSTA uses the Personal Information you share with us for the purposes described in this Policy or disclosed to you through other methods, including scholarship and/or award applications or other opportunities that may be presented from time to time that you may choose to opt-in to participate. For example, we may use your information to:
- to communicate Program-related information to you;
- to notify you in the event you are selected to receive a Promotion;
- to provide the information or services you request;
- for security or fraud prevention purposes;
- to provide you with a personalized experience when you use one of our Sites or express interest in a Program;
- to contact you with information and notices we believe will be of interest to you;
- to invite you to participate in surveys and provide feedback to us;
- to better understand your needs and interests;
- to improve the content, functionality and usability of our Sites; and
- to improve our services.
b. Administrative Messages. CSTA may also use your Personal Information to periodically email you with administrative messages even if you opt out of promotional communications.
c. Marketing. We will not sell or rent your Personal Information to third parties.
4. Sharing of Personal Information
a. Information You Share. CSTA Programs or Sites may allow you to share some of your Personal Information, such as your user name, ID or alias, along with your comments, narrative, feedback, videos, content and other information publicly or with users of our Sites. Please be mindful of your own privacy needs as you choose who to connect with and what to share and make public. We cannot control the privacy or security of information you choose to make public. If you share information about others, you should get consent from them for any information you may share about them.
b. Information We Share. CSTA will not disclose your Personal Information to third parties other than as follows:
- When you agree to our sharing of your information with other third parties to provide you with access to their products and/or services;
- With third party vendors, consultants and other service providers with which we contract to provide services and which need limited access to your information to do that work;
- In connection with or during negotiation of any merger, financing, acquisition, or dissolution, transaction or proceeding involving transfer, divestiture, or disclosure of all or a portion of our business or assets to another organization.
5. Third Parties; Linked Sites
6. Your Information Options and Changes
a. In General. CSTA respects your right to make choices about the ways we collect, use and disclose your Personal Information. In most cases, we will ask you to indicate your choices at the time we collect your Personal Information. We will also include an “opt-out” link in each electronic newsletter or promotional email we send you, so that you can inform us that you do not wish to receive such communications from us in the future.
b. Rights to Access, Correct and Eliminate Personal Information. You have a right to access, modify, correct and eliminate the Personal Information you shared with CSTA. If you update any of your Personal Information, we may keep a copy of the Personal Information that you originally provided to us in our archives for uses documented in this policy. You may request deletion of your Personal Information at any time by contacting CSTA. We will respond to your request within 30 days. Personal Information you have shared with others through our Sites may remain visible even if you request its deletion.
7. Your Rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”)
If you are an individual in the European Economic Area (EEA), CSTA will collect and use your information as follows:
- To provide customer support and features;
- To protect the safety and security of the website;
- If you give us consent to do so for a specific purpose;
- To process your data to comply with a legal obligation.
Once you have provided us your data, either actively or automatically, you will have the right to:
- Request access to the personal data we have from you;
- Request that we delete your personal data.
To exercise your rights under GDPR, please contact us in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. No Obligation to Retain Personal Information
CSTA has no obligation to retain your Personal Information, and may delete any or all of your account information and Personal Information without liability. However, we may retain certain data contributed by you if CSTA believes it may be necessary to prevent fraud or future abuse, or for legitimate business purposes, such as analysis of aggregated, non-personally identifiable data, account recovery, or if required by law. CSTA disclaims any liability in relation to the deletion or retention (subject to the terms herein) of information, including Personal Information, or any obligation not to delete the information, including Personal Information.
CSTA takes commercially reasonable precautions and has implemented commercially reasonable technical measures intended to protect against the risks of unauthorized access to, erroneous disclosure of, and unlawful interception of Personal Information submitted via our Sites or in connection with any Program. However, your email transmissions and/or other communications containing Personal Information may be unlawfully intercepted or accessed by third parties and/or CSTA’s website may be subject to hostile network attacks or administrative errors. We cannot and do not guarantee the security of any information transmitted over the Internet. For the avoidance of doubt, CSTA EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO ENSURING, GUARANTEEING, OR OTHERWISE OFFERING ANY DEFINITIVE PROMISE OF SECURITY IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
CSTA may update this Policy from time to time. Whenever we make a change, we will post the updated Policy on our Sites, and your use of the Sites and/or Programs following any such change constitutes your consent to the terms of the revised Policy. Thus, it is important that you review our Policy regularly.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this Policy, please contact us by email or postal mail:
Computer Science Teachers Association
332 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60604