The Computer Science Teachers Association (CSTA) is excited to announce the 16 participants of the 2023–24 Equity Fellowship. The CSTA Equity Fellowship is made possible in partnership with Microsoft, Google, and Micron.
These 16 fellows have demonstrated success in disrupting inequities in K-12 computer science and want to improve equitable access and achievement at a broader scale. These fellows were selected from 79 applicants and represent 13 states. Sixty-three percent of the fellows teach PreK-12 students, and 38% train or support teachers.
This year-long program will provide leadership development opportunities to fellows and support them in developing ongoing, peer-to-peer professional learning experiences focused on addressing issues of equity in the computer science classrooms for CSTA members. You’ll have opportunities to engage with their work at the CSTA Equity in Action Summit, the CSTA 2024 Annual Conference, and CSTA’s The Voice.
Meet the CSTA Equity Fellow Teacher Cohort:
- Leah L. Aiwohi, 6-12 Teacher, at Kauai High School (Lihue, HI)
- Matt Alonzo, 6-12 Teacher, at Parkway North High School (Saint Louis, MO)
- Cynthia Brawner, PreK-8 Teacher, at Wadsworth STEM Elementary (Chicago, IL)
- Ebonie A. Campbell, 6-12 Teacher, at Maury High School (Norfolk, VA)
- Daa’lyah Suad Cooke, 6-12 Teacher, at Frederick High School (Frederick, MD)
- Daniel T. Jones, 6-12 ESE Teacher, at Whispering Pines Educational Center/Broward County Public Schools (Miramar, FL)
- Marisa Laks, 6-12 CS Teacher, at High School for Environmental Studies (New York, NY)
- Lisa Rachel Moe, 6th Grade Teacher, GATE Coordinator (PreK-8, at Philistine Rondo School of Discovery (Eastvale, CA)
- Dr. Elvage Girard Murphy, 6-12 Teacher, at Ten Oaks Middle School (Myrtle Beach, SC)
- Michelle Pierce, 6-12 Teacher, at Mallard Creek STEM Academy (Charlotte, NC)
Meet the CSTA Equity Fellow CS Allies Cohort:
- Michaela Joaquin De Guzman, Curriculum Developer, at Girls Who Code (New York, NY)
- Sofia De Jesus, Associate Program Manager – CMU CS Academy, at Carnegie Mellon University CS Academy (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Rudy Escobar, STEAM & Computer Science Coordinator, at Stanislaus County Office of Education (Modesto, CA)
- Kip Glazer, Principal, at Mountain View High School (Mountain View, CA)
- Victor G. Hicks, Founder and Director, at Coding with Culture (Decatur, GA)
- Michelle Meier, Computer Science/Media & Instructional Technology Consultant, at Central Rivers AEA (Cedar Falls, IA)
“The dedication of these computer science leaders will bring new methods and ideas to disrupt inequities in computer science education,” said Jake Baskin, Executive Director of CSTA. “These teachers and allies will impact not only the CS classroom, but the work of district offices, state departments of education, and non-profit organizations. Thank you to our partners Microsoft, Google, and Micron for their continued support of the Fellowship.”
For additional information about the Equity Fellowship Program, visit csteachers.org/equity.