As more and more districts and teachers are adopting CS curriculum based on the CSTA K-12 Computer Science Standards and related state standards, there is increasing interest to ensure curriculum is correctly aligned to these standards.
CSTA now validates the standards alignment of K-12 curricular materials submitted by a curriculum provider in a redesigned process. A trained group of K-12 CS educators reviews the curriculum and alignment using detailed rubrics for each standard. They reach consensus on whether the curriculum is fully aligned, partially aligned, or not aligned to each standard, and this alignment is summarized at the core concept and curriculum levels.
Partners Seeking CSTA Endorsement
Third-party organizations that offer a curriculum or resource and seek endorsement from CSTA are invited to submit their curricula for a crosswalk review for $3,000 USD. Additional submissions are subject to the $3,000 fee. Active CSTA institutional partners may unlock special pricing on the crosswalk review. All partners must follow the same process if they are seeking CSTA’s endorsement of their curricula or resources.
- Complete the crosswalk template (see below), indicating alignment to one level of CSTA standards. For each standard, we request alignment status (fully aligned, partially aligned, or not aligned) and one to four examples of aligned resources.
- Submit the completed crosswalk to CSTA via the form on this page. Within five business days, CSTA will confirm receipt and provide an estimated time of completion based on the current number of pending requests and reviewer capacity. CSTA will send the provider an invoice to request payment for the review.
- Pay the invoice. The cost is $3,000 USD per review, with discounts available for Institutional Partners. Payments must be received before the review can begin.
- Two or more trained reviewers independently evaluate the validity of the alignment of each standard indicated in the crosswalk.
- Reviewers reach consensus on each standard, utilizing a chairperson and additional reviewers as needed.
- CSTA creates and shares a final crosswalk document, including an overall summary and summaries by core concept.
Note, given the detailed review and number of people involved, these steps will take about six weeks to complete. We will estimate when we will complete the review based on the current number of pending requests and reviewer capacity.
- The provider may request one secondary review if they disagree with any conclusions from the review team. To do this, they must submit evidence and commentary to challenge the alignment of specific standards within two weeks of receiving the completed crosswalk. This secondary review will take approximately two weeks to complete.
- CSTA will publish the validated alignment to its website unless the provider requests it not be listed. Providers may also publish and share however they would like.
Use the following templates to request a validated review of your curriculum or resources. Clicking the link will prompt you to copy the spreadsheet. Each review will validate one level of the CSTA K-12 CS Standards. If your curriculum or resources are aligned to multiple levels of standards, please complete multiple crosswalk forms.